Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Smoked Corn

If you're committing to the four-hour process that is smoker cooking, you may as well maximize your returns. That thinking led me to do some experimenting yesterday.

In addition to the whole chicken I was smoking, I figured I'd throw in something else. But what?

I contemplated tomatoes, but I only had tiny cherry variety and feared they'd fall through the grill's bars. I like a good smoky cheese, but I was pretty sure that putting a block of cheddar in a 225 degree-chamber wasn't a great idea.

Then it hit me--I'd smoke those two beautiful ears of corn sitting in the fridge. A quick web search revealed that I needed to peel the husks back to soak the corn for an hour. Then butter and season the kernels to your desire, recover the ears with their husks and smoke away. I used some string to tie the husks shut.

An hour later, the Spoonstress and I were enjoying a corn on the cob/cobb salad combo. Best of all, you can smoke corn on a regular gas grill--just keep it away from the direct heat.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 03, 2007 9:38 PM, Blogger ASQ said...

i would eat my shoes if they were smoked first.

 
At June 04, 2007 10:05 PM, Blogger JB said...

I'll smoke 'em if you'll eat 'em!
As long as they're real leather...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home