Friday, May 25, 2007

BLT Bonuses

I just finished and submitted my column on BLTs today (it should run Wednesday). It was so fun to research this topic that I ended up with more material than I could use. I thought I'd share a few of the outtakes with you folks.

First, why is it that lettuce and tomato share top billing in a BLT, but no other sandwich. In almost all other sandwiches, that duo is an assumed accompaniment. Anyway, the Spoonstress raised the question and I thought I'd throw it out there. Any ideas on why?

Second, cheese isn't a great BLT add-on. This is what I wrote, but edited out on the topic:

Edam cheese rounded out the creation and I now know why the original sandwich is not a BLTC. The Edam made it heavier, like a typical deli creation.
Third, doesn't it sometimes seem like you need an engineering degree to build a BLT that doesn't collapse? While eating a particularly messy creation during the BLT Jubilee (possibly this one), our Fork friend Peter noted that “The lettuce and tomato combo is like a Slip ‘n Slide.”

I sought professional help. After posing the arrangement question to Hich Elbetri, the chef/owner at Chapel Hill's SANDWHICH (hence the spelling of the eatery), I wrote this 'graph on the topic:

The arrangement of ingredients can mean the difference between collapse and success. Hich recommends lettuce on the bottom, then tomato and bacon, and slicing with a really sharp serrated knife. Still, structural integrity can be a challenge—hence the toothpicks.
But what I didn't write, because I don't really get it, is that Hich kept saying the most important thing is to avoid putting "vertical pressure" on the sandwich. Short of suspending gravity, I can't think of a way to cut horizontally.

Anyway, Hich said it was hard to explain (yup) and takes some practice (likely), but he'd be happy to show me. I suppose I'll have to drop by SANDWHICH sometime. It'd be a real shame if I had to have another of his BLTs. A real shame.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home