Saturday, May 19, 2007

Now THAT'S Living

I've had dessert of lunch and even a rare breakfast dessert, but I'd never had a dessert of dessert until tonight.

I feel like I'm living what kids imagine adult life to be. And I don't regret it for a second.

Earlier tonight, the Spoonstress and I went out to Crooks Corner, our favorite splurge, with our friendly neighbork. We went there mostly because I'd heard that chef Bill Smith'slegendary honeysuckle sorbet was on the menu, a treat hinted at by the morning aroma in our neighborhood.

After both a first and second course, we decided we each needed our own bowl of the honeysuckle sorbet. It was flowery and light, and it tasted like spring. And it should, given that it comes from the flower of what amounts to a pretty weed.

Yet, as we eyed the brownies, cakes, and puddings going past, we all came to the sad realization that the sorbet wasn't really rich enough to quench our dessert thirst. It was more a palate cleanser.

When our neighbork inquired about a particular cake layered with custard, we all knew. We'd have our second dessert.

The cake in question was a Mississippi Vanity Cake and it was outstanding. The menu has it as a "buttermilk layer cake w/ apple custard & whipped cream." It wasn't the best cake I've ever had, but the sheer thrill of double desserting pushed it pretty close.

The whole thing left me feeling really alive (You mean I can have two desserts?!). It also made me feel really American. I wasn't sure whether to pen the Double Dessert Manifesto or slip onto the couch, turn on the tube and loosen the belt.

Because I couldn't decide, I split the difference and wrote this post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home