Monday, May 07, 2007

Rhubarb, Rhubarb

It must be spring, because I had strawberry rhubarb pie this weekend. Homemade strawberry rhubarb pie.

When I saw native strawberries at the store, I figured it was time for this springtime rite of passage. When I heard that Mama Fork was coming for an impromptu visit, I knew we'd make it together. Even better, she needed something for a potluck dinner, so we'd make two.

I sliced three pounds of strawberry and rhubarb stalks--think red celery--the night before her arrival. All that remained was a little mixing and baking. For the first one, we used the traditional half and half rhubarb-to-strawberry ratio. Mine was more like 2.5 cups rhubarb and 1.5 cups strawberry.

I haven't heard how the first pie was received at the potluck, but the second one was a hit at my friends' house. Served heated in the microwave and topped with vanilla ice cream, the pie was worth the effort.

Based on the pictures, I'm either an obsessive crust crimper or a store-bought crust user. It's the latter. While that ain't old timey, this is: I ran out of butter on the second pie and had to borrow some from our neighbor. (Thanks Adele!)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At May 08, 2007 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really need to get to NC, now that SRP is in the offing!

 
At May 09, 2007 10:00 PM, Blogger JB said...

SRP in the offing--it's on!
Who wouldn't fly across the country for some pie?

 
At May 11, 2007 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did! and that was some damn good pie i tell ya. not a crumb left between the five of us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home