Friday, May 11, 2007

Brute Fruit

Occasionally, I work for a catering company. One perk of the job is that you often come home with leftovers. You also get to say, with a straight face, "It's a shooter of cucumber-basil soup with lotus root."

Last night, I returned from work with a giant grapefruit. I'm not sure this is the 'nom de commerce,' as I didn't buy it, but it's huge. These pictures were not doctored in any way--scout's honor.

This fits with today's trend of fruit that *may* be on steroids. Today's bananas are like wiffleball bats and apples are entire meals. On the other hand, this robust produce counters another food fashion--baby produce.

These two trends may end the use of fruit for making size comparisons. If you said you had a grapefruit-sized bunion, I may think your life was in danger. Or that it was pretty manageable.

Anyway, I'm staring at a grapefruit with a 15-inch circumference and I'm not sure whether to eat it or build a solar system model around it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At May 16, 2007 3:29 PM, Blogger Ed Siu said...

Definitely build a solar system around it! I would probably use other fruits as planets and sporks as the alien ships for hell.

 
At May 17, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger JB said...

Ed, I like your spirit. Maybe next time, I've already devoured it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home