Tuesday, May 22, 2007

BLT in progress

The past two nights I've been writing the BLT column. In considering improvements to the classic sandwich, I've been struck by just how similar the ingredients are to a salad. This fact is not lost on KFC or Wendy's.

The Spoonstress first raised this topic during the BLT Jubilee. Then I read this article about SANDWHICH, in which co-owner Hich (hence the restaurant's name) Elbetri discusses how he created his sandwiches:

"I did a lot of research on my own. I'd go to Jean-Georges' place [Jean-Georges Vongerichten's four-star gem in the Trump International Hotel] and have a salad, and that salad seemed a great idea to be a sandwich. A lot of my sandwiches are derived from cool salads."
Elbetri pegged that idea to BLTs when I spoke with him by phone today. SANDWHICH is now serving an Italian BLT (pancetta, tomato, arugula, dry ricotta, pesto, mayo) as a special, and, Elbetri said, "I’m gonna keep it around because it’s time for a nice salady, BLT."

Crook's Corner chef Bill Smith echoed the sentiment in a recent conversation. "We have a recipe here for cornbread salad that reminds you of a BLT," Smith said. "It has bacon, mayo, and tomato in it. There’s no lettuce, but it has celery."

All the combinations we tried during the BLT Jubilee--the options included lettuce, tomato, bacon, olives, avocado, mushrooms, cheese and onion--could be salads. But then again, what couldn't you say that about these days?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home