Wednesday, April 25, 2007

SandWHICH?

The B.L.T. is a topic near and dear to my heart. I've always enjoyed the classic sandwich, but the version I ate at Atlanta's Buckhead Diner 10 years ago pushed things to another level. That meal still ranks in my personal Top 5 (and tops my 'longest waits' list).

There's a real range of B.L.T.s. Perhaps because it relies on only three ingredients, they all must pull their weight. And from iffy bacon to soggy lettuce to tasteless tomatoes, there are plenty of pitfalls. But that's not even addressing the potential for structural collapses and toothpick troubles.

But when someone nails the B.L.T., it can be so right. Plus, they're apparently a valuable hangover cure.

B.L.T.s may or may not be my next column topic, but if they are, it started today with my long overdue first visit to SANDWHICH (the co-owner's name is Hich), a Chapel Hill lunch spot that serves "Homemade sandwiches on handmade bread." I apologize for not having my camera, their logo will have to suffice.

After reading the menu beforehand, it was obvious I'd order the O.B.L.T. (the O is for outrageous). Adding avocado and jalapenos to the classic, this creation could bear a diferent adjective-- fabulous.

A few things stood out:
--The insides of the bread were toasted, preventing sogginess, but the tops were not. Novel.
--Crispy, crispy bacon. A real key for me.
--The jalapenos stole too much of the limelight for my liking.
--A healthy amount of avocado--always a plus.
--With no toothpick, it got a little sloppy, but wasn't too bad.

But for the jalapenos, I'm not sure this sandwich can be beat. We'll see...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with the Buckhead BLT as tops for both the sandwich and the length of wait to be seated.
I also highly recommend the BLT at the Flour Bakery in Boston and also at the All-Star Sandwich Bar in Cambridge-- first class ingredients and taste at both.
And then of course there is the the whole issue of the BLT morphing into a club sandwich, i.e., a BLT with another ingredient, separated by a third piece of toast-- tuna is my top choice there.-- Papa Fork

 
At April 26, 2007 11:11 AM, Blogger JB said...

Thanks, Pops Fork. I'll have to investigate those Boston options next time I'm in town.

As for the idea of a BLT morphing, there's a thick line between a BLT and a club sandwich, and it's made out of tuna (I'm not a big tuna eater). But the idea of adding to a BLT definitely intrigues me...

 
At April 27, 2007 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Flour BLT, also served at the Parrish Cafe (near the office here at Brother Fork HQ), is indeed tops. I dislike tomatoes, but they do something magical to them for this sandwich and I can't get enough of 'em.

 
At April 30, 2007 2:12 PM, Blogger JB said...

A BLT that can convert a non-tomato eater--now that's a heck of a thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home