Monday, January 01, 2007

Slice of Life

Happy New Year, all! As I previously previewed, I made caramel slices this past weekend. These dessert bars are my favorite Commonwealth (you know, those Queen lovers) dessert, sticky toffee pudding being a close second.

Well, the slices sure looked nice. And many of them certainly disappeared before dessert time. But despite the fact that I used a Kiwi recipe, the slices didn't quite taste like the ones I remembered from New Zealand (and England). The main problem was the caramel, which just didn't have the right texture. I was hoping for more gooeyness, but it ended up being kind of chalky. If I had to assign blame, I'd guess it was the recipe's call for Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of making it from sugar. Maybe I should have used this Kiwi recipe.

Oh well, such is life. It's OK, I was ready for a little dessert breather anyway. Had the slices been fabulous, it would've been that much more difficult to do. When I eventually get back on the sweet train, I think I'll start with an American classic: Toll house cookies.

1 Comments:

At January 02, 2007 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to sample some of these treats and I thought they were great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home