Thursday, December 07, 2006

Testing Underway

As I mentioned earlier, my upcoming newspaper column will discuss food-related gifts. Here's an update on the proceedings.

Thanks to the kind folks at Kitchenworks and A Southern Season (two fine, locally owned stores that also sell by the web) I'm now in possession of a slew of potential gifts. Now comes the fun part: testing them out.

If I had to summarize my testing in one word, I'd say..."Plastics." That's right, Ben (think The Graduate), silicone is everywhere again this year. In addition to the familiar pot holders, there's an assortment of ice cube trays, expanding cookware and egg poachers. On the egg front, the PoachPod is a particularly neat item. Just after Kitchenworks' affable owner Martha demonstrated this lily pad-like poacher to me, a customer snapped up the last one. That's just how hot these are, folks.

My favorite contraption so far is this neat collapsible strainer. It expands in segments, which is useful, and it's a real space saver. Wow, that sounded really dorky.

Moving along...there's the Banana Guard, which shelters bananas like an overprotective parent. While more testing is required, all indications are positive. There haven't been any Letterman-like twenty story drops, as a few readers have requested. I'm still planning that stunt, but I need to find a house that's not a ranch (like mine). But today the Spoonstress is giving it the all-day-in-your-backpack beating. If only I had the budget for a backpack cam. There's always next year...

1 Comments:

At December 08, 2006 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to report that the Banana Guard did well yesterday on its first trial run. After a 2 mile hike to work in my backpack, the banana remained completely trauma-free. Several co-workers commented on the Guard and some wondered how it would really hold up in a more rigorous test. We determined there is a need for a controlled trial, which my colleagues and I are well prepared to design and implement. We will have 3 groups: a banana subjected to trauma with no Guard; a banana subjected to the same trauma with Guard; a control banana, subjected to no trauma. We are submitting an application for funding and these things take time... please check back at the F&SBlog for updates about results and publications.
P.S. - I call dibbs on the control banana when it comes time to consume them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home