Monday, December 04, 2006

The Eagle Has Landed

As I mentioned earlier, my next newspaper column will discuss food-related gifts. In an update on the topic, the first item arrived yesterday:

When the Spoonstress and I returned from a weekend in Spoonsville, the package was waiting. As I'd hoped, the good people at Aberrant Designs had sent me a Banana Guard for experimental purposes. The first night of Hanukkah had come really early.

With a completely straight face, I can say that it was bigger than I expected. But considering the variations in bananas' size and the inventor's claim that more than 90 percent fit, that makes sense.

The contraption is yellow. Actually, "mellow yellow," to be specific. Banana Guards come in five different "colours"--it's a Canadian company--and I told them to surprise me. While it may not be as photogenic when loaded with a banana, it's certainly appropriate.

The Banana Guard's plastic is also tougher than I'd imagined. I think this thing might just work. Now for the fun part--testing it out. Before I do that, I just need one thing--actual bananas. Stay tuned...

2 Comments:

At December 07, 2006 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i won't believe the claim that it works until i see the resulting bananas from two durability tests:
1. dropped from multiple stories
2. shot at by a gun

nevermind the details of my life that lead me to hold these tests as the determinant of usefulness for this invention, but i just can't sit easy without the capabilities of bulletproofing my midday snack.

 
At January 01, 2007 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your article today in the News and Observer and agree completely. I am a mom of two teens and I do shop from a list and I cook most of our meals. I find if very frustrating that a lot of people I know refuse to eat leftovers. I take my leftovers for my lunch everyday and so does my husband. I try to plan my meals so that we don't waste too much food, but I do end up throwing food out. Have you done any research on why some refuse to eat leftovers (I have a friend that tells me her husband will not eat leftovers)?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home