Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Falling into place?

Cider's in the supermarkets, it's dark by 7 p.m. and the baseball playoffs are in full swing (unfortunately for the Red Sox). It must be fall.

As I try to figure out the direction of my next column, I'm in an autumnal mood. And the first thing that comes to mind are pumpkins. While I'm drawn to the idea of cooking with pumpkins, the best things I've created from these orange globes are usually roasted seeds and funny faces (mine's on the left, the Spoonstress' on the right).

So help me out. If you have any ideas, success stories or recipes, send them this way. Conversely, if you have a cooking with pumpkin horror story, tell me all about it.

On a separate note, late fall and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. That's why it's never too early to start thinking about Turducken food safety.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 18, 2007 1:09 PM, Blogger Melicious said...

You are asking the right person! I love pumpkin. I never ever use the canned stuff anymore. About once a week, I take a sugar pumpkin (traditional jack o lantern pumpkins don't work as well) that I've bought at the farmer's market and cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds and any sticky fibers with an ice cream scoop. Put it cut side down on an oiled baking sheet and bake at 350 for about an hour. Scoop out the soft insides and puree in a food processor. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
2 favorite recipes to come . . .

 
At October 18, 2007 1:22 PM, Blogger Melicious said...

Favorite recipe 1: I eat this almost every day for breakfast:

PUMPKIN PIE OATMEAL
I make a batch for the week and reheat in the microwave with milk.
Saute 1 Cup steel cut oats, some pie spices like cardamom, nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, in a big pot to toast.

Add 3 cups boiling water (it will boil way up so stand back and make sure you are using a big pot). Stir and then let sit at a simmer for about 30 minutes until thick and cooked through. Add 1-3 teaspoons of vanilla to your taste and about a cup of pumpkin puree and a sprinkle of salt. If you want, add milk and maple syrup.

Favorite recipe number 2:
PUMPKIN QUICHE(perfect served with soup and or salad for a light autumn dinner). This is super easy to make because there is not chopping and everything just gets thrown together in the food processor.

Sprinkle 1/2C grated cheese (Jarlsberg works well) in the bottom of a pie shell.

In a food processor puree
1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 Cup Milk
2 Eggs
Nutmeg, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper

Pour over cheese in the crust and bake for 50-60 minutes at 350.

 
At October 18, 2007 2:17 PM, Blogger JB said...

Glad my query found you, Melicious! I'll definitely try that pumpkin pie oatmeal. And if you know how I feel about maple syrup, I'll definitely be adding a generous amount. Is it your recipe or did it come from elsewhere?

 
At October 18, 2007 3:39 PM, Blogger Melicious said...

I came up with the pumpkin pie oatmeal (I used to do just the spices and then realized, why not add the pumpkin too)

I should have mentioned the pumpkin quiche is modified from one I saw in Vegetarian Times last year.

 
At October 22, 2007 10:58 PM, Blogger Jeanne: said...

Yay!! Great to see friends from totally separate parts of my life joining together online to celebrate food!!! Awesome!!! (I carved a pumpkin today to look like a pirate.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home