Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sandwiched

Sure, I enjoy an ice cream sandwich. Who doesn't?

But I think the frozen dessert could stand some improvement. For some time, our thinking on this dessert has been too...vanilla. I'm sure you can guess where my next column is heading: straight to Forksperimentation Land.

Excluding light options like Skinny Cow, my humble North Carolina supermarket only has traditional sandwiches and a strawberry cheesecake option that looks terrible (full disclosure: I'm not a cheesecake person).

Elsewhere, though, things seem to be looking up. Apparently, Blue Bunny makes a few other flavors like Neapolitan, Strawberry and Mississippi Mud. Fat Boy has some tempting ideas like mint chocolate chip and some odd choices like egg nog sandwiches. And then there's Edy's ice cream sandwich ice cream. Of course, leave it to Google to take things up a notch.

Picking up where Google and It's It left off, I'll suggest some ice cream sandwich alternatives in the coming weeks. Since I'm heading to San Francisco right after this next newspaper column, I'll have to see if my handiwork matches up to It's It's chocolate coated oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwich.

Hey, It's It's staff: it's on.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 31, 2007 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I await the results with great anticipation. I will say that for me anyway, and I have no way to explain this logically, the charm of the classic ice cream sandwich has always been the soggy texture of the chocolate "wrappers". Not sure why, since I hate "soggy" everywhere else in the food universe.
PF

 
At September 04, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger JB said...

Hmm...Maybe you like the soggy chocolate because it means the ice cream doesn't squirt out as much when you bite into it. I never thought 'charm' and 'soggy' would inhabit the same sentence, but there they are! Personally, I'm not sure I'd go as far as charming, but the chocolate "breading" is a big part of the ice cream sandwich's appeal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home