Sunday, September 09, 2007

Squishy Science

Well, I finally broke down and bought some Cakesters. It had to be done--in the name of science.

Allow me to explain. I'm trying out some new ice cream sandwich combinations for my upcoming column. In the research, using regular Oreos, dismantled, as the exterior of the sandwich didn't work too well. The ice cream squirted out the side. You know like Newton theorized, every action (biting into the sandwich) has an equal and opposite reaction (the ice cream fleeing out the sides).

We needed softer "bread" for our sandwiches. Hence, Oreo Cakesters, billed as "soft snack cakes," seemed like the answer.

Split in half, they certainly worked better than regular Oreos as an ice cream pseudo-sandwich. In general, though, I'm not wild about the Cakesters' texture. But I never liked Devil Dogs,either.

As for the name, I think they'd sell better as "Fluffy Oreos." Then again, maybe not.

When I told the Spoonstress' visiting friend Jeanne about this "project," she made a day-saving suggestion: 'Have you tried assembling the ice cream sandwiches and then freezing them?'

Of course I hadn't, because that would have made too much sense. Not only does this method help the sandwiches keep their shape, it reduces the "squish out the sides factor." Freezing the ice cream into shape--now there's some science for you.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2007 8:43 PM, Blogger Jeanne: said...

Fantastic! I made it into F&S. So glad it worked. Can I link your blog on mine?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home