Monday, July 23, 2007

What's Poppin?

Or maybe I should ask, 'How is it poppin?' The answers: Popcorn and in a Whirley Pop.

While on vacation this past week, I had the chance to prep for my next column while experimenting with the Whirley Pop, a conventional (non-nuclear) popcorn weapon. While this device isn't the only way to make popcorn without radiation, it sure is an enjoyable one.

There's something appealing about being able to hand crank your way to a snack. Or a dessert. And possibly a light meal.

As for the options, the Whirley Pop comes with an abundance of recipes. There are even more online, from the sublime to the ridiculous. After combing through the recipe book, the Spoonstress-in-law and I tried a few versions.

While we had fun experimenting, let's just say that the savory option was better received than the sweet ones. In addition to the family's comments, this photographic evidence supports my theory. Here's what the boisterous bowl of Viva Zapata popcorn looked like after twenty minutes:

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 23, 2007 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like the exercise you get hand-cranking as you cook is a great way to reduce the guilt that seems to always accompanies binging on delicious snack food.

I'm all for anything that lets me eat more popcorn.

 
At July 23, 2007 4:04 PM, Blogger JB said...

Oh yeah, you're cranking non-stop for at least two minutes. Cancel the gym membership and eat up!

 
At July 24, 2007 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a second, I thought popcorn was one the few snack foods I didn't have to feel bad about eating! But then, I was the person who preferred the whirly pop recipe that included M&Ms. Yum! So I guess you're right, I should get crankin'!

By the way, I can think of AT LEAST 3 people in the fork-o-sphere who would likely identify themselves as "SB" -- whoever you are, you need the forkster to give you a good nickname!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home