Monday, June 25, 2007

Fetching Rhubarb

Recently, I was talking to my neighbor Adele about rhubarb. She said she'd never cooked with it, and didn't even know what it looked like.

The next time I took the Spooch over to play with Adele's dog, Mr. Darcy, I brought a bag of rhubarb to show her. The Spooch and Mr. Darcy have been playing in another neighbor's yard lately. While I was putting the Spooch into that fenced yard, she got loose and I dropped the rhubarb to grab her. That very moment, Mr. Darcy zipped over and snagged the bag full of red stalks. As I grabbed the Spooch, I heard Adele exclaim, “Mr. Darcy’s got the rhubarb!”

I’ll never forget the sight of that young golden retriever pup sprinting off with a plastic bag full of rhubarb in his mouth.

After Mr. Darcy came back, we let the dogs play with a stalk. It certainly made for a good tug-of-war toy (see photo). While they were wrestling over it, Adele said, deadpan, “So that would be what rhubarb looks like.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home