Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Pop Goes the Horchata

A recent trip to Locopops, that happy, fun popsicle vendor, brought me face to face with a hybrid of two favorites--horchata and frozen treats.

I'm often let down by the store's more outlandish concoctions--cinnamon blueberry was the latest culprit--but the horchata was love at first lick. Its milky-cinnamon-almond flavors did a little meringue in my mouth. I should have known that an enterprise modeled on Mexican paletas would nail horchata popsicles.

Like most summer flings, however, it was fleeting. I called Locopops today to see if they still had them.

Nope.

When would they be back? "Probably not for a long time, because we just had them," the chipper clerk said in what at the time seemed to be a mocking tone. In hindsight, she was just being informative.

I had planned to go enjoy another horchata pop, take some pictures, enjoy a second one and then a third. Sadly, you'll have to make due with my old "locopics." And I'll have to either drink my horchata or settle for another tasty popsicle flavor like Mexican chocolate. I'd settle for either, I suppose. But I'd only be settling.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what?!?! they don't have horchata anymore? you're breaking my heart, forkster. say it isn't so. did you try calling all three locations???

 
At July 13, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger JB said...

'Fraid so. But they'll be back...eventually.

 
At August 21, 2007 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the Red Hot flavored locopop yesterday & it was a hit! It's creamy base made the difference. More proof that red hots need to be an ice cream option. but you gotta go now as the forkster warns.

I did want to note to those lucky enough to be ordering two popiscles - 1 cream based & 1 water based at the same time. You should eat the cream one first then the water based one. The creamy one melts faster & the water one is nice & solid when purchased.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home