Thursday, July 05, 2007

Steam Before Fire

A new kind of corn dog?

Allow me to explain. The Spoonstress and I got a late start on a little art project--framing this cool Marimekko print--which threw off our timing. Because we wanted to make it to some fireworks, I decided to forgo the time-consuming grill readying. Our mini Fourth of July cookout turned into a one-pot party. In hindsight, let's call it American pragmatism.

I'm happy to report that neither item took on the taste its boiling buddy. And, at her suggestion, the Spoonstress nailed the yellow vs. white corn taste test. Also, I successfully steamed buns on my first try. Their tenderness may cause me to reconsider (and possibly blog about) the boiled dog/steamed bun vs. grilled dog/toasted bun equation.

After returning from the fireworks, I made an impromptu sundae. Instead of the usual cone of ice cream, I told the Spoonstress that I was going to make a banana split. When asked what prompted that decision, I replied, "There's a half-eaten banana in the fridge and it's the Fourth of July." Not sure which was the bigger factor.

My Star-Spangled Sundae included vanilla ice cream, banana slices, peanuts, peanut butter and hot fudge. In hindsight, I should have used the blue bowl and added strawberries. Then again, strawberries and peanut butter aren't the best of friends.

Don't forget to check back here Monday to read Papa Fork's grand debut. You won't want to miss the first Fork & Spoon guest post!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home