Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rhubarb Outtakes

The Rhubarb column is history, but I have a couple of extra stalks to share:

After the article ran, my neighbork Adele conferred with her friend about rhubarb. They confirmed that rhubarb is in fact a Yankee food and that they've never seen it in a Southern cook book. This quotation of Adele's was a last minute cut: "You all make strawberry rhubarb pie, but we just grew up on strawberry pie and, if we were lucky, wild strawberry pie."

Also, this was the Spoonstress' take on the Rhubarb Lime Rickey: “If I close my eyes, it tastes like I’m drinking limeade." Opening her eyes, she said, "It tastes like pomegranate." Hmm...

If there is a rhubarb association (this was the closest I found), it should market its product better. I'm thinking if they re-branded it as "Roo-Barb," used a kangaroo logo and got some outback Aussie to pitch it, rhubarb could be the next…Kiwi fruit. Who doesn't like kangaroos?

Finally, I’d like to point out that my local store was sold out of all rhubarb the weekend before the column ran. While I’d like to think that my blog posts on the vegetable sparked a buying frenzy in Chapel Hill, it’s unlikely. Instead, take it as a sign that rhubarb is a commodity on the rise—buy it while you can!

No word yet on if the shelves will be bare after the column runs (I'm not holding my breath.).

Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 28, 2007 3:02 PM, Blogger spivacular said...

I LOVE RHUBARB STRAWBERRY PIE!!!! My mom grew it in our (upstate-NY-Yankee) vegetable garden. It flourished in big, hard-to-harvest, stalky shrubs. I remember her warning us to never eat it raw, because it's toxic. Now that I know you're trained in rhubarb cookery, I might have consider the Spoonstress's longstanding insistence that I become your neighbor.
-Spoonfriend (spriend?)

 
At July 03, 2007 9:18 AM, Blogger JB said...

Spoonamiga,
Great news that you're a fellow rhubarb supporter. As you know, loving rhubarb strawberry pie is really the only sensible stance.

You'll be glad to hear I'm making another pie for the 4th of July, to show our friendly neighbork what a slice of Yankee heaven tastes like.

Perhaps one day, you'll be that neighbork. I know we'd all benefit from your rhubarbspertise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home