Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Mix-in Matzoh?

Whew! Late last night, I finished writing my ice cream Mix-in column that should run Wednesday. Between that, and celebrating the beginning of Passover, it was quite an evening.

We enjoyed a relaxing seder with a great brisket dinner. And for dessert, my cousin David made a brilliant end run around the no-flour Passover rule: chocolate creme brulée!

It occurs to me that the idea of ice cream mix-ins makes a mostly kosher for Passover column. While I didn't write about matzoh mix-ins, per se, most of the creations are Passover friendly. Then again, some of that chocolate covered matzoh is pretty tasty and would surely enliven your ice cream. Ditto for macaroons, that coconutty Passover treat.

With Easter just around the corner, I was tempted to crack a Cadbury egg over a bowl of vanilla. Then I realized this was just too gross. And I don't think Peeps would work in cold ice cream, but this still needs to be confirmed if there are any adventurous readers out there.

In a bit of non holiday news, my eagle-eyed brother alerted me that Edy's, in their wisdom, already has an ice cream sandwich flavor. But I assure you that Alex's idea was not influenced by this product, as Edy's doesn't sell it in North Carolina.

Besides, who needs an ice cream sandwich when you've got Hillel sandwich, that symbolic seder food featuring matzoh and horseradish? OK, you're right, not a good swap.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At April 05, 2007 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got to disagree with you on the cadbury egg thing, that sounds kind of good right about now-1:30AM.

 
At April 05, 2007 2:30 PM, Blogger JB said...

You're just one convenience store away from being my hero. Go for it!!

 
At April 08, 2007 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my favorite food in the world is ice cream, preferably Brigham’s chocolate chip, I have to weigh in with my favorite mix-ins: toasted, SALTED pistachios (out of the shell of course), or cashews, or pecans, or all 3. The combination of salted nuts with sweet, cold creamy vanilla or chocolate chip is heaven. Notice that I said "weigh in." I've been indulging quite a bit lately....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home