Friday, January 12, 2007

Meaty Resolution

You're not just looking at a pork shoulder, but follow through.

In an effort to stay true to my food-related New Year's resolutions, I bought this pork "picnic" cut. Happily, it's the cut used to make barbecue, or "pulled pork" for you northern readers. I haven't decided whether I'll use it to get acquainted with my smoker or crock pot, but it'll be a maiden voyage either way.

Another goal from that column was to buy more local, organic meat. This pork is likely neither (although, I did choose it over the Big Pork Hormel one). But if you read the fine print, I mentioned the need to practice smoking or crocking with inexpensive meat. At $1.29/pound, it's a success.

I hope I'm saying the same about the end result.

3 Comments:

At January 15, 2007 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 16, 2007 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never shopped in the ball o' meat section of the supermarket...so that photo is a bit other-worldly looking to me. I assume it doesn't look like a soccer ball made of meat after it's cooked?

 
At January 16, 2007 2:14 PM, Blogger JB said...

Yep, the ball o' meat section is a sizable and popular one at North Carolina supermarkets.

But, I think it looks more like a meat bike seat. I would say it looks more appetizing in person, but that'd be a lie.

It's in the freezer now...I think I'll cook it tomorrow and let everyone know how it tastes (and looks).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home