Monday, December 03, 2007

Joe's Open

The Chapel Hill Trader Joe's opened Friday. I swung by there in the afternoon and now feel a kinship sardines. What a zoo!

I went to TJ's mostly out of curiosity, which I satisfied by elbowing my way through the aisles.

First impressions: I'm psyched about the prices, variety and emphasis on taste. Food doesn't feel like a commodity there, as it does at most supermarkets. Not psyched about the lack of unwrapped produce. I don't want to buy a bag of four avocados--I want to buy one.

I would have bought a box of their awesome Joe-Joe's cookies (Candy Cane flavor!), but then I took a crowd at the front of the store. I would have paid not to wait in those lines.

After my brief reconnaissance mission, I'm excited to return when I'm in full shopping mode and the crowds have hopefully died down. I'll let you know how it goes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At December 03, 2007 6:07 PM, Blogger Gigi said...

You will learn to love T. Joe's! It's not a one-stop shopping place, however. Ignore their produce, except for the bagged salads (cheap and good selection). Breads, cereals, frozen food (love the vegetable fried rice and the black bean and corn enchiladas), pastas, dressings, sauces, coffee, wine, chocolate, nuts and nut butters, and soups all make it worth your time. Oh, and the frozen crab cakes! Their milk is hormone free, and I don't think anything in the store contains high fructose corn syrup. Many, many items (canned and frozen) are organic, but at reasonable prices. I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Happy shopping!
P.S. Try the mini peanut butter cups and the chocolate covered pretzels- you won't regret it.

 
At December 03, 2007 6:15 PM, Blogger JB said...

Awesome, thanks for those recommendations. I've heard that it's not great as a one-stop shop, but I'm going to experiment to see how it fares that way. Life is complicated enough without having to shop at two places (which I do waaay too often).

By the way, you had me at "chocolate covered"...

 
At December 03, 2007 8:48 PM, Blogger BTC said...

Then there's Joe-Joe's!!! They will bring out your inner child (the one that dunks oreos into milk); ditto what everyone else said! I'll be there every week!

 
At December 03, 2007 10:17 PM, Blogger JB said...

Crunch! Mmmm. Mmmmmm.
Sorry, I'm munching on a Joe-Joe as I type.

I had a fun trip to the TJ's (full report to come). If you're planning to go to the Chapel Hill store, though, you may want to go in the morning, unless you like empty shelves. They'll get it figured out, but until then, you may want to arrive closer to 9 a.m. than 9 p.m.

 
At April 02, 2018 10:44 PM, Anonymous Cara Mengatasi Asam Lambung said...

This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Cara Mengobati Sinusitis
Penyebab Mual dan BAB Berdarah
Perawatan kesehatan mata
Bahaya Tenggorokan Nyeri
Cara Mengobati Usus Buntu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home