Friday, December 14, 2007

Joe Report--Part 3

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm writing my next column--out Wednesday--on the Trader Joe's that just opened in my town. Then again, maybe that's just a convenient way to cover up my complete addiction to the store's cereal.

Either way, I made my third real visit there yesterday. After a relatively restrained shopping run, I'm left with these questions:

Can Granny's Apple Granola unseat its cousin, Mango Passion Granola, from the bottom of my heart? Grandmas are seldom wrong...

Which of their frozen treats is the best? The Spoonstress and I will have to consume Mandarin Orange Chicken, Gyoza Chicken Potstickers, a Pizza 4 Formaggi , Chile Verde Chicken Burritos and Sublime Ice Cream Sandwiches by Tuesday so that I can write about them for the column. By then, we'll either be TJ addicts or never want to set foot in the store again.

Why did I buy banana granola bars? What made me think these would be anything but odd?

What's wrong with their peanut butter? I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich yesterday and the taste was a bit off. Since I couldn't put my finger on it, I compared its label to our last jar of organic peanut butter. The answer is an easy fix: not enough salt. That raises another question: Will I really salt my next PB & J?

Check back later for some answers...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At January 01, 2008 8:36 PM, Blogger joanna said...

What's wrong with the peanut butter is not that it's unsalted (all unsalted peanut butter tastes wrong, if you ask me), but that the peanuts are unhulled. In other words, they don't remove the red skin from the peanut, which makes for bitter-tasting peanut butter.

Trader Joe' does sell salted and unsalted versions, FYI.

Maybe it's just because it's the pb of my childhood, but nothing compares to Adam's All Natural: it is THE pb for me.

 
At January 07, 2008 11:13 PM, Blogger JB said...

Awesome! It's great to have a peanut butter expert on the blog. I'll have to give Adam's PB a try. Where does one find it?

 
At March 27, 2008 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just wanted to say that trader joes' vanilla almond granola cereal is amazing!
it tastes like sugar cookies in milk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home