Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Spork Notes: Ellio's Pizza

From time to time, I write about a favorite food in a feature I call Spork Notes. Today's topic: Ellio's Pizza.

While some folks' freezer pizza of choice is round, I hew to the rectangular. Within that genre, French bread pizza has regal aspirations. Ellio's aspires to no such heights. Its beauty lies in its simple, solid taste.

An Ellio's box contains three sheets of pizza, each one perforated into three "slices." Apparently some people will only cook one or two slices, but I've always made three. That's probably because when I wanted a "pizza snack," I went with that traditional Italian treat--Bagel Bites.

Besides, snapping off slices before baking takes some doing, seeing as they're frozen. I've stopped that practice because it shakes loose a bit of the cheese, of which there isn't much to spare. That's part of the charm in this age of inch-thick mozzarella.

Ellio's Pizza was the second "dinner" I could make for myself, after hot dogs. Interestingly, both involved the toaster oven. Maybe that's why I'm fiercely loyal to a toaster oven, and can't stand the pop-up kind.

While Ellio's remains pretty low-brow, I've always seen it as customizable. What began with garlic powder and parmesan now looks a bit more deluxe.

Sadly, McCain foods doesn't sell this prince of the pizza aisle here in North Carolina. Perhaps that enhances the allure. It certainly explains why two Ellio's boxes filled my cooler on the return leg of a recent trip to Delaware. (If you work for McCain and are reading this...let's talk).

Since then, Ellio's has ousted Mrs. T's Pierogies, as my standard solo supper. As you can see from the photo, which I've named "Dinner for One," you could do a lot worse.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At August 07, 2007 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,

My comment isn't related to this specific post; but, I've been wanting to tell you for awhile that I've noticed a change in my "leftover" habits that I attribute to you! I've found myself three times in the last week saving portions of leftovers that I would previously have thrown away ... but, now I think "I should save this and have it with that little bit of such and such that I saved yesterday." Just thought you'd like to know you're impacting some of us lurkers out here in changing our wasteful ways.

 
At August 27, 2007 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My post isn't going to be nearly as inspiring as that one (though I have been eating a few extra leftovers myself lately, but that could also have to do with the cash flow too!).
I too am partial to the toaster oven. There are just so many more posibilities with it than the pop-up kind! from Elios to nachos to heating leftover chinese appetizers (the microwave makes them soggy then chewy after they stand too long and that just makes me sad).
Also...I didn't know that Elios was indigenous to the north; now I know what to get you for your bday!

 
At August 27, 2007 5:42 PM, Blogger JB said...

Ames,
Glad to hear you're making use of those leftovers. You're making your grandma and me very proud.

I love toaster nachos, or, as I like to call them, Nachos for One.
As for an Elio's birthday--what could be better? I'll pretend to be surprised come November...

 
At July 05, 2018 3:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0705
true religion outlet
isabel marant shoes
karen millen dresses
cheap mlb jerseys
oakley sunglasses
nhl jerseys
mcm outlet
oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home