Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Too Many Tomatoes??

No, that's impossible. There's no such thing as too many local tomatoes.

Let's call 2007 the Summer of German Johnsons. OK, maybe it's more like my summer of German Johnsons. I've sworn allegiance to this heirloom tomato after one free sample at the Raleigh (N.C.) farmer's market. Maybe that's because it's a North Carolina variety.

If I ever get around to growing tomatoes--and I hope to next year--I'll definitely grow German Johnsons. There's such a dizzying array of options (Abe Lincolns, etc.) it's comforting to know I can stick with the GJs.

Anyway, with local tomatoes left and right (I drove by one house selling them in their driveway--unfortunately, they were gone the next time I drove by), it's been a fun couple weeks of eating.

I'm not sure about you, but I find myself preparing foods just as an excuse to eat the local tomatoes. I'm also putting them in weird things like burritos, which isn't really that odd if you think about it. What about tomatoes in your cereal?

I almost did it. Man, I'm so close to being wild and crazy. In my defense, I contemplated it but didn't want to spoil any gorgeous slices of tomato by getting lousy Grape Nuts on them. Can you blame me???

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home