Friday, February 16, 2007

Musical Meats: The Music Hasn't Stopped

I've been racking my brain trying to decide what to feature in my Musical Meats column. The idea is to swap one protein for another in a traditional meat dish. The problem being: I'm looking for a switcheroo that will yield a creation that's a) new, b) tastes good and c) has a catchy name. Pork Pot Pie satisfies all three, but finding others has been difficult.

Trying to incorporate the animal noises into the name was a bad idea. Aside from being a tad morbid, it got a bit corny. As a result, I won't be adapting Beef Bourguignon into Lamb "Baa"guignon.

As I often do, I've been placing too much emphasis on the name. I've been struggling to see if I can make anything to fit the name Duck, Duck, Goose. Or Duck, Duck Mousse. But then I realized that even if geese are mean and poop everywhere, I don't want to eat them. And duck mousse sounds more like a punishment than a treat. As for the idea of Goose Mousse, the less said about that, the better.

A recent write-in suggestion of Pulled Chicken is a solid one. It may be lacking a bit in the newness category, but it has a shot at being really tasty. And I bet I can make something happen with that name (hint: another aliteration).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 19, 2007 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of being the opposite of helpful...

Your "Duck, Duck, Goose" comment sounded familiar -- sure enough, from our favorite Somerville restaurant:
http://www.evoorestaurant.com/entrees.shtml

 
At February 19, 2007 11:11 AM, Blogger JB said...

Thanks for reminding me of EVOO's creation. Before I decided not to go in the Duck, Duck, Goose direction, I found a few other people using the name. Aside from an underrated kids' game, it's a darn catchy name for a dish.

Thanks again--all comments are useful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home