Monday, January 22, 2007

Hog Wild

I've become a real pig lately. No, I haven't shifted shapes, but I've been eating a lot of swine. In a somewhat unintentional manner, I ate pork three straight dinners, a few lunches and then a dinner again.

As we saw recently, this whole thing started last Wednesday with the crock pot pork adventure. Then, for reasons somewhat out of my control, I had pork the next two nights. The Spoonstress and I had dinner with friends at Crook's Corner Thursday night. Anyone who's ever eaten at Bill Smith's great Chapel Hill restaurant knows that if they're serving Cheese Pork with mashed rutabagas, that's what you get. This lightly fried cutlet in a Madeira sauce is just that irresistible.

Coincidentally, we'd had plans for a while to eat with other friends at hog-licious Allen and Son Barbecue Friday night. Well, I wasn't about to get a salad. Now did I mention that I ate crock pot carnitas leftovers for lunch both Thursday and Friday? The Spoonstress, meanwhile, sensibly opted out of pork both days.

After a dry weekend, swine-wise I resumed the insanity Monday night. I had no choice. There was a bunch of pork shoulder left from the crock pot and I couldn't bear to have it go to waste. Ever since my sister-in-law Andrea made us a really tasty chicken pot pie, I'd been craving another. Well, here was my chance--sort of. Pillsbury crust in hand, I decided to make a pork pot pie.

In short, it worked. Best of all, with its strong gravy taste, I couldn't really tell what kind of meat it had. After all, I am getting a tad tired of pork.

Very soon, I'm gonna need to live less high on the hog. Until then, there's plenty of pork pot pie leftovers for lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home