Friday, February 23, 2007

Buffalo What?

The die has been cast. The bison has been purchased. Tonight will mark two firsts: my first bourguigon and my first Bison Bourguignon.

After conjuring "lambalaya" recipes for days, I've decided to cap my Musical Meats column with some bison cubes. After all, it's the new red meat. Or perhaps this slogan: "Buffalo--don't feel guilty, there's plenty now."

It wasn't hard to find the meat. I had heard of someone getting buffalo burgers from Whole Foods, so I called their deli department. With some advance notice, they cubed some bison instead of grinding it. I enjoyed a few free orange slices and graham bear thingies and checked out, earning brownie points for not taking a plastic bag.

So what do we call this protein anyway, buffalo or bison? Apparently real buffalo are what you and I call water buffalo. Bison are what we've always called buffalo. So we'll just go with bison meat. At least that way there won't be any confusion with buffalo wings. There will be no blue cheese or celery involved.

Names aside, I face a harder question: Do I use Julia Child's beef bourguignon recipe and trade bison for beef? Or do I go with Bison Centre's "Bison Bourguignon" recipe (which I saw only after thinking up the idea. Honest.)? I'm leaning towards J.C. because I already bought the bacon and the Bison Centre is in Alberta, Canada. Then again, what the Albertans may lack in fine dining, they may make up for in buffalo, er, bison know-how.

Either way, wish me luck. I'm a bourginner.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 3:57 PM, Blogger Al said...

Hey, us Canadians raise excellent bison, eh!
You have a good chance of success with your meal even if you follow a beef recipe. The buffalo you bought at Whole Foods is almost certainly a grain/corn finished animal and since you're using chunks of meat, which are usually cooked in a liquid, you won't have any problem with the meat drying out. This can easily occur with bison steaks and roasts because of the lower fat content of bison, particularly if they are pastured or grass-fed.
If you want more recipe ideas check out Toronto based Peter Duffin's bison recipes at Bison Basics (www.bisonbasics.com)
I recommend using his Bison Pot Pie recipe with or without the pastry.

 
At February 24, 2007 12:07 AM, Blogger JB said...

Hey Al,
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see an "eh" on my blog. I had seen Peter Duffin's site and his abundance of recipes--the Bison Back Ribs was my favorite.

Thanks for your insight, there. The bison was pretty good and lean as heck. One question: any idea what part of the animal I just ate? All I can tell you is that, like the picture says, they were called "Bison Cubes."

 
At February 25, 2007 12:38 AM, Blogger Al said...

Did you use the Julia Child recipe?
Most likely the cubes were from the back legs....top or bottom round is my bet.
I hope to read about your adventures with elk next, cooked in Canadian beer, eh!

 
At February 25, 2007 12:13 PM, Blogger JB said...

Yep, used the Julia Child recipe, partly because I didn't see one for Bison Bourguignon on Peter Duffin's site. I'll have a full roundup on it soon, but let's just say that it took a while. A bit elaborate for my taste, but oh well.

As for elk...I need a break from meat for a bit. Maybe I'll just watch that masterpiece of Canadian film "Strange Brew" instead.

 
At February 27, 2007 11:37 PM, Blogger Al said...

After your experience, Peter is working on a Bison Bourguignon recipe. But he agrees with you that it's elaborate. In his words "this one goes beyond 'basic', it's a helluva lot of work". I recently made a bison lasagna, and that's about as complicated as I want to get.

 
At February 28, 2007 9:45 AM, Blogger JB said...

Thanks Al, I'll keep an eye out for Peter's Bison Bourguignon recipe. Could have used it last Friday--I wouldn't have been blanching bacon and all that mess. I'd say "helluva lot of work" is about right.

 
At April 13, 2016 12:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors jet set tote
Michael Kors Sale
michael kors purses
michael kors Chicago Premium Outlets
Michael Kors Outlet Online Store
michael kors factory outlet
jordan retro 7
jordan shoes
jordans 11
lebron 12
nike outlet
nike air max 95
nike free 3.0
nike free 5.0 womens
christian louboutin online
Red Bottom Shoes
mbt usa
mbt outlet
fitflop sandals
fitflops on sale
Nike Air Huarache
All Balck Huarache
red sole shoes
christian louboutin sale
jordan 13
jordans for sale
jordan 11
jordan releases
coach outlet
coach store
Michael Kors Clearance
Michael Kors Online Outlet
Michael Kors Discount

 
At May 20, 2016 9:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors outlet online
cheap jordans
michael kors outlet
timberland outlet
true religion outlet
oakley sunglasses
nike factory outlet
nike air force
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
tory burch outlet
oakley vault
michael kors outlet
supra sneakers
louis vuitton
coach factory outlet
true religion jeans
pandora jewelry
ray ban sunglasses
nike air jordan
adidas shoes
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban sunglasses discount
nike roshe run
nike roshe flyknit
toms shoes outlet online
jordan retro
true religion
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban sunglasses
michael kors
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
tory burch flats
longchamp handbags
burberry outlet
instyler curling iron
true religion shorts
coach outlet
cheap jordans
20165.21wengdongdong

 
At February 12, 2022 11:33 AM, Blogger خدمات منزلية said...

شركات مكافحة الحشرات
تسليك مجاري
شركات عزل الاسطح
بناء مسابح

 

Post a Comment

<< Home