Monday, July 03, 2006

Grains of Wisdom

In preparing to write the Granola with Gusto column, found myself talking oats and seeds with friend Peter. It turns out that he makes his own granola and isn't afraid of a little granalysis.

Peter's soliloquy stands on its own:

"As a dorm room expatriate, I’m still stuck in the routine of eating cereal for most meals and snacks throughout the week. So, to get a better mix of the healthy things I need, I decided to mix it all together. The best way to get protein and good grains with a little dried fruit action is granola. Now, granola at the store comes in a smaller box and is twice as much as the Oats-n-More (Food Lion’s version of Honey Bunches of Oats) I was used to buying. That opened me up to the idea of thinking beyond a box (sadly, that pun was intended) and making granola for myself.

Also, the box granola didn’t give me everything that I wanted. I can submit to not adding things to my Lucky Charms because I don’t have the necessary equipment to create magically-delicious purple horseshoes, but with granola, there isn’t anything in there that I can’t buy at any grocery store."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home