Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Gazpacho Dispatched

I'm now in that vexing stage between columns where I'm deciding what to write about. I like to call it Three Little Bears Land, where I'm trying to figure out which idea is juuuust right. For instance, I'm keen to make my own granola bars, but just finished a column on granola.

Then there's the season to take into account. With summer in full haze, I thought I'd honor the spoon segment of Fork & Spoon and write about gazpacho. I planned to talk to the wizards at Pepper's Pizza who make an amazing version and it'd be a sure thing.

Perhaps not surprisingly, a summertime gazpacho piece proved less than original. The good people at The News & Observer, the parent paper for Fork & Spoon publisher The Chapel Hill News, ran their own interesting piece on the cold soup of Spain.

Oh well, that's life in this cut-throat, competitive world food journalism. I guess I'll commiserate with a nice cold bowl of soup.

2 Comments:

At July 11, 2006 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about a salsa that uses cherries? would that make a chutney? either way i'm up to my elbows in cherries & need guidance.

 
At July 19, 2006 5:20 PM, Blogger JB said...

Hmm...cherries. First off, sorry for the delay--I don't often get pleas for guidance. But I'm happy to share my ideas, three of which come to mind.

1. Freeze 'em. I've had frozen grapes as a summery cool treat and they're solid. I can't imagine cherries would be any different. Plus, they'd last.

2. Smoothies. Mix the cherries (pitted, of course) with banana, milk, OJ and whatever other fruit you have on hand.

3. Cherry cobbler. My midwestern pal Ben swears by it. I've never been a fan. But if it floats your boat, it would use up a bunch of cherries.

Hope that helps, let me know how you fare!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home