Monday, February 06, 2006

The Samples

At long last, I've decided on the next topic for my column: Free food at supermarkets. As the shopper of the house, and a slow one, I spend waaay too much time peeking into these plastic domes for goodies. I figured, why not write about what I've found.

The results, for the most part, have been delicious.

Supermarket sampling has been an area of interest ever since my first square of Swiss at the deli counter. I also have fond memories of sitting in my mom's shopping cart and enjoying a slice of smoked turkey from the deli counter.

I've been preparing for the column lately, freeloading at stores all over town. Let me tell you, the research is exhausting. Just plain exhausting. But fear not, folks--I"ll soldier on.

--Your Faithful Freelancer.

1 Comments:

At February 09, 2006 1:31 PM, Blogger mamabird said...

Mr. Bloom, just wanted to inform you that the Super Target in Durham is the Mecca of Free Samples. Well, other than Sam's Club, that is. Target samples also distinguish themselves by having the clever "pretzel stick skewer" rather than the boringly inedible toothpick version.

And if you need a research assitant, my toddler son will happily direct you to every cheese, meat, and cookie sample within 10 miles of our house. With emphatic sound effects.

Happy Freeloading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home